Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 6, 1862

2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     June 6-Friday
     Weather warm as ever
     Capt came in to see me this morn and brought a letter and some papers from Jane the letters dated April 10th they came in a box from Mrs. Shipley. Jane says she sent me 6 packages I have only got one of them as yet. the rest I may get some time it all is to be seen. But the joy it gives me to get a letter from my wife although two months old no one can tell unless situated in similar circumstances.
     I am as yet no better and am almost discouraged. but it will not do, I must keep up my courage or go under, and I am not prepared to do that here in this condemned country.

Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
      Friday, June 6, 1862.
     Fine again.  one of Co. B. was shot by
     A picket on guard.  he did not blame any
     body as he was fooling the sentinel he is
     Dead the ball passing through his right
     Breast.  the steamer Diana came up the
     River last night.  the Steamer
     Saxon come up from Orleans with
     Stray soldiers & baggage for our regt.
     Regt. guard duty for our comy to mor-
     row.

No comments:

Post a Comment