Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 6, 1862

2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     March 6-Thursday
     Very windy and cold this morning.
     A mail arrived here to day Capt & Lieut each had letters but I none papers from the north of the 12 of Feb confirm the accounts of a battle at Roanoke Island and it is a decided victory for us.
     Col Jones made a remark to his man that Beauregard & Jeff Davis were both captured but I do not place much reliance upon it.
     Robert Dale sent to the Fort under charges of disobedience preferred by me. he has been repeatedly insolent and saucy to both commissioned and non commissioned officers this I think may cure him. he was talking in the ranks against strict orders to the contrary. Corporal England spoke to him but he did not stop. but instead told said Corporal that it was none of his d-d business and when ordered out to [---] by me. he said to use his own words I ain’t going to do it. when I immediately ordered Serg’t Foster to take him to the gaurd house. this evening I prefered charges against him this evening as above.
     Tonight I find that there are some 27 men on our rolls that the paymaster will not pay on our roll. as we have no proof that they have been mustered. so I do not know how we can arrange it for them. but it must be done some how. for the men must have their pay.


Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
     Thursday 6
     A cold morn.  the Pensacola arrived
     Last night with 2 Gun Boats in
     Convoy the mails Came[?] to day
     In the Rhode Island.  my hand is
     Lame yet the R Island sailed
     This PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment