Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27, 1862

2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     March 27-Thursday
     Weather warm and pleasant this morning.
     I am Officer of the Gaurd this day find our new regulation as gaurd more strict than they have usually been I have to be up all night to night and not allowed take off any of my equip-ments. Capt. Wells is Officer of the day. I like him much.
     Got a letter & box from Jane dated Feb 16th some time ago but I am very much pleased to get even old letters. she sends me 2 books and some papers which were also very acceptable to me. I also got one from my Mother which was written in expectation of an answer from me before leaving Fortress Monroe.

Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
     Tuesday 27
     A very hot day to drill in just
     Wrote a letter home there was a man
     Came in from the rebel shore and
     Brought his kitt[?] with him he says
     There is a great deal of suffering
     Among these rebels the Colorado
     Sailed this evening destination
     Unknown.  but we expect the
     Expedition on the Missisippi River

No comments:

Post a Comment