Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

January 24, 1862

2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     January 24-Friday
     The hardest storm I think that I ever saw. Rain & Blow almost a hurricane Brent Johnson and myself went down to the Fortress. Charly urged us to stop over night but I told Captain I should come back. and we done in had to wade in water almost over my Boots in some places found some of our tents gone and find out on arriving that we were ordered to move by the Col. for fear the point would be overflowed our tents were pitched in the Soldiers burial ground and the men used grass for pillows but did not many of them find it out untill next morning.
     Captain and I staid down in our tent and run the risk. did not strike on the
Cooks tent went to sleep and awaited the results.
     Got a letter from home this morning from my wife.


Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
     Friday 24
     A Strong day with high winds
     And very cold.  the tide coming
     In higher than common.
     We expect to have to move
     Had to strike tents and pact [sic]
     For hills.  we struck tents in
     Woods & in uneasy they was
     Had a hard disagreable cold

     Night of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment