Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

January 13, 1862

Image Online at: 
The Virginia Historical Society
Qr. Master Sergt. Howe:
From a Letter:
     January 13, 1862. Monday.
     We set sail at 7 o'clock a. m. Splendid morning. It took some time to get the bows round. As soon as she was headed toward the sea a salute was fired and every one was merry. A pilot went down the harbor with us, and when we were opposite Fort Warren a squad of soldiers gave us three cheers, which were responded to by all on deck. Very soon Neptune had some customers on their backs, and by noon half of the officers took their staterooms. Those who remained well had great sport playing tricks on the unfortunates. I have not been sick yet. At sundown we dropped anchor and remained there until 8 o'clock p. m., at the entrance of Martha's Vineyard Channel, to await high tide, as the water is too shallow for the steamer to pass at low water. 8 o'clock p. m.—We are now on our way again. Splendid evening. A music box, a fife, cards, reading and checkers are the amusements.

2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     January 13-Monday
     Weather fine this morning and we are to start on our voyage
     I without seeing my wife or any of my friends since I left home. and I suppose it will be a long time before I see them again.
     Along towards night I find some of the men already begin to feel the effects of the sea sickness. and I guess they will not improve any before we get to the end of our voyage.
     I hear we are to touch at Fortress Monroe. if this is so I shall have a chance to see the boys. I hope it will be so. [Illustration]


Corpl. B. B. Smith"
Diary:
     Monday, January 13, 1862
     This morn got up steam and
     Left boston for ship island
     Or somewhere else we don't know
     Where.  we had a fine sail down
     By fort Warren and out to sea
     I do not feel seasick yet.
     This is a first rat [sic] ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment