Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

May 25, 1862

2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     May 25-Sunday
     A very warm day as usual. I find that I never saw any weather or warm weather before.
     Sunday and as the office is closed there is not much doing Whitcomb and myself went out and took a walk around town, enjoyed ourselves a little. considering we are away from home so far. we can never enjoy myself here unless I could have my friends, home and last but not least my wife, home is nothing without a wife.
     I met or rather we had an invitation to go up to the Lake, along with Sam Smith, and Thompson, went up and met Lt. Burt of 31st and a number of friends it is a beautiful place. he has a century plant which is expected to bloom everyday and he has any quantity of visitors to see it. his place is located on the Banks of Lake Ponchartrain. and is a delightful place a resort of the elite of the City, and is always thronged with people. He has a Pistol Gallery, bowling alleys, and a very fine garden and grounds around it. the road is a hard shell road and a very pleasant drive, had a fine time and a nice ride, some fast horses around him but nearly all Pacers.

Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
      Sunday, May 25, 1862
     Fine again.  there is no news of
     Any account.  i wrote a letter to my
     Wife & 1 to Eddy and sent home with
     A new orleans papers had orders
     This PM to pack our blankets and
     Take 2 days rations which we did and
     Marched to Ponchatrain RR Depot
     And rode to the head of the lake and
     Went on steamer whiteman and stopped

No comments:

Post a Comment