Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

May 18, 1862

Qr. Master Sergt. Howe:
From a Letter:
     New Orleans, May 18, 1862.
     Dear:
     The steamer which was to carry the mail met with an accident and will be delayed a day or two, so I will write again. Sunday in New Orleans and Sunday in Lowell, what a difference! The bar rooms,eating houses, cigar shops, all are open. I attended church this morning, in company with three other officers. The church was of the Episcopal denomination. It seemed like home, it being the first time I have had an opportunity to attend public worship since I left Lowell. Our regiment has received a new uniform throughout and I am busy just now issuing these to the companies. I have adorned myself with a white shirt to-day and I feel very comfortable. In my last letter I mentioned that the prisoners who were taken at the Forts were released on parole. Yesterday five or six were re-arrested, as they had been detected in organizing a company which was to join the Confederate Army. General Butler has ordered them to be shot. Good! say I. Confederate money is to be abolished on the 27th of this month, as well as "shin plasters." The last mentioned consist of paper money issued by private firms which are doing business in the city, and is considered good according to the state of the man who sends it out. I enclose one for twenty cents. General Phelps' command is in camp at Carrollton, seven miles up the river.

     I suppose my sisters would like to know how the young ladies of New Orleans dress, so I will try to describe some. The bonnets are flaring; colors, pink, white and blue, they are adorned with large roses; muslin dresses, lace and silk mantillas made in different shapes and sizes, some wear hoops, some do not. Flowers grow in profusion here. I should like to send you a bouquet of magnolias, negroes sell them in the street, one bit each (ten cents). We are quartered in Lafayette Square, opposite Camp Street. Fran., I think I shall take a Creole home with me when I come back. No more just now. I hope you are all well.

I am your son and brother,
WARREN.


2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
      May 18-Sunday
     Very warm and pleasant day nothing doing all day in the way of business.
     Whitcomb and myself strolled around town and looked around the city. things are changing very rapidly in the city. it commences to look a little cheerful. but still we find a good many black looking face and scowls from the ladies. One of the ladies left a pew in a Church in which she was sitting, because the Sexton had the impudence to show a Federal Officer, into the same pew. This is the feeling of a large portion of the (women) here you certainly cannot call them Ladies.
     Went up to the Office to night and Whit got an order to arrest one, Adams a recorder of the 4th district a noted man and said to be very desperate. As Whit was coming up by the office, his man passed on his way down he immediately put his hand on his shoulder and says you are my prisoner he made no resistance but went down & was locked up in the Custom House.

Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
      Sunday 18
     We had a thunder shower last night
     The first we have had since we come here
     Had an inspection this morn it was
     Very hot.  had orders parade & battalion
     Drill this PM.  it was hot work
     Uncle Sam has given us another
     Suit of clothes.  Blouse Pants Shirt
     Trausers Shoes & socks.  good on his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment