Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2, 1862

Qr. Master Sergt. Howe:
Diary:
     February 2,1862. Re-embarked and sailed, then put back, and set out again on the 6th, after leaving a steamer which we picked up in distress. I played a joke on our Quartermaster Parker, the day before we left. When the troops went on board, in Boston, the boys had some boxes. I was ordered to examine them and, if liquor was found, to confiscate it. The Quartermaster had several bottles I had turned over to him in his state room. I treated all the officers and then filled the bottles with water. The Quartermaster came aboard with some friends to see him off at Fort Monroe and he proposed to treat them, when, lo, the wine had turned into water. I was in my bunk in the next state-room and I could hear the Quartermaster damning the Sergeants. While our regiment lay at the fort, I visited my company; the Captain, P. A. Davis, ordered me back into the ranks. I saw one of General Butler's aids and, later, got an order direct from the War Department, which transferred me to the 30th Regiment and I was appointed a full-fledged Quartermaster Sergeant.


From a Letter:
     Fortress Monroe, February 2, 1862.
     Dear:
     We have struck our tents and are going aboard. I send you twenty dollars. Send the articles I mentioned to Captain Davis, as packages for soldiers, by the City Government. We expect to sail to-morrow (Monday). I will write the first opportunity. All well.


     WARREN.


2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     February 2-Sunday
     Weather very pleasant this morn
     Regimental Inspection this morn by Col. French & Major Paine.
     Embarked once more on the Constitution got safely on board at about 4 O Clock P.M.
     Nell & Charly came up as we were striking our encampment. Nell brought my leggins and a letter from Jane. it is just one month to day since we broke Camp in Lowell. it hardly seems a fortnight
     I not feeling very well retired at about 7 O clock P.M.


Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
     Sunday 2
     A fine day we were all turned
     Out to hear the army rules
     Read.  we understand we are going
     To leave soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment