Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

April 14, 1862

Qr. Master Sergt. Howe:
From a Letter:
     Camp, Ship Island, April 14,1862.
     Dear:
     I received your box and letter all right. Seven regiments are going down to Southwest Pass to-morrow, possibly ours. I hope I shall not be left behind. I expect Fort Jackson will be the point of attack. I received a letter from George Pray, dated March 15. All well. I sent a letter and my white shirts by the "Undaunted," in care of Lieutenant Claiborne, who will call on you. Governor Andrew refused to commission him, as he was not from the State of Massachusetts.
Yours till after the battle,


SON WARREN.


2d Lieut. Elliot:
Diary:
     April 14-Monday
     Pleasant day once more all is bustle and confusion about embarking on transport North America.
     All baggage packed up and to be turned over to Quarter master. Officers carry only blankets, Rubber Coat and 1 change of Clothing. Leave our trunks behind us.
     After getting all ready find we do not go on board until tomorrow. Had a severe drill this afternoon boys all feel well and eager for the fray. bound up the Mississippi it is supposed New Orleans is our destination.

Corpl. B. B. Smith:
Diary:
     Friday, March 14, 1862
     A Stormy day i wrote a few
     Lines to send home with my
     Money.  sent 40 Dolls[?] by Deams[?] & Co
     Express.  the tide is very high
     Coming within a few feet of our
     Tents the island is getting rather
     Thick settled almost inhabitants
     Enough for a city.  Butler is
     Expected here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment